This is an excellent program to introduce students to a variety of winter sports. Staying at the rustic and warm Algonquin Eco-Lodge, students will also learn about and engage in “off the grid” living, as the lodge is powered completely with alternative energy.
Situated deep in the forests on the southern tip of Algonquin Park, the Eco-Lodge is nestled on the shores of a small private lake and a cascading waterfall. It is this waterfall that provides the hydro power for the Lodge. The remoteness of the Lodge also provides the perfect locale for winter sports. There are 60 km of groomed wilderness cross country ski trails, dedicated snowshoe trails, and multi-use trails that are utilized for dog sledding. Our trail network starts right at our front door! And, since the lodge is outside of cell phone range and there is no TV, the students will not be distracted from this unique learning experience. This makes them more aware of the process of collaboration and interaction with their peers and teachers.
This guided package includes:
- 1 ½ hour dog sled ride
- ½ day guided cross country ski
- ½ day guided snowshoe hike
- wolf howl program
- 4 days/3 nights accommodations
- 3 breakfasts & 2 lunches – dinners to be planned, shopped, and prepared by students
- use of 60 km of groomed Nordic cross country ski trails
- optional survival shelter building program
- Polar Bear dip if you’re brave enough! Donations go to the World Wildlife Fund for polar bears.
We have listed the full day to day activity itinerary, as well as the Core Learnings touched upon.In the interests of keeping costs down, and to foster a team atmosphere, the students are responsible for planning, shopping, and cooking their own dinners. Also, since many schools already have access to their own cross country skis and snowshoes the cost of these rentals has not been included in the package price. The Algonquin Eco-Lodge staff will oversee the proper use of our kitchen.
You can read a reference testimonial from a school that previously participated in this adventure.
Location: Algonquin Park (only 3 hours from Toronto or Ottawa)
Cost: $295/person + HST
Dates: Mid week January to March
Size: 20-34 participants (each with their own bed, with 2-4 people per room)
Not included in the price above:
- Sleeping bags – we have beds but no sheets
- Snowshoe rentals – $25/person
- Cross Country Ski rentals – $25/person
- Survival Shelter Course – $35/person
- Dinners – you plan/shop/cook your own dinners